Sunday, August 9, 2009

And Finally, What I Am Doing About All This Health Care Mess

So, after all my yipping, what am I doing besides blogging? Well, I'm trying to engage in realistic conversations with people who don't agree with me, for one. I've considered arranging a party for everyone I know who is on the left and claiming the only solution is single payer and people who are on the right and are claiming that single payer is what is currently being devised. My plan is to invite them all to one spot, without telling them the purpose, then I'm going to turn out the lights and whisper one word.


"Health Care"

Whichever side wins the scuffle wins the debate. If that doesn't end it, then I'm going to then retry the idea by simply whispering "War on Terror" while they are all catching their breath.

Short of the time to do that, I have expended my energies elsewhere.

I am writing all my legislators explaining to them my problems with the current health care legislation, and pointing out the growing concern over financing said reforms. I'm also pointing out that they are up for re-election, and that if such sweeping legislation does get passed and causes more economic problems, then I, and millions more, will certainly not vote for them. However, if some reforms are passed, don't work well but can be easily changed, then the likelihood of reelection for them is much greater. In my letters I am pointing out that reform is much easier to do through an existing system, and that those options have not been researched enough. I am also pointing out that if they can fix ONE thing in the system, see how that works, then fix another, there is a precise and measurable way to determine what is working and what is not.


Here is a link to a web page where you can find any US Senator and email them with your concerns.



In addition to that, I've looked at systems around the world that combine both public and private in order to ensure universal health care. I plan to continue writing to my senators and to the White House as I see systems that work well, pointing out to them what DOES appear to work and what DOESN'T work. I have also contacted Anthem about different policies I've seen that could be created to ensure coverage for people who are "at risk" for more expensive medical care.

In my daily life, I feel like I fight the health care battle as I challenge the status quo in how my daughter's disabilities are handled, turning down overpriced adaptive devices that are not necessary and using the ones that are necessary until they have outgrown them. I think critically about everything that is offered, asking myself if I would take said item if I was paying for it all out of pocket (saying I had the money), and considering if the item will actually help with something. We also routinely turn down additional government assistance that we qualify for because we believe that it's more important for our girls to grow up thinking that God will provide for their needs through their diligence and hard work, not that they get special perks for simply having joints that don't move right. Of course, I don't believe that it's always wrong to take government money when someone has a disabled child, but for us, we are choosing a different path because we believe that is where God has called us to be. So, please, don't anyone write me and tell me how judgemental I am. This is what we are doing because we are trying to follow God as we think He is leading us at this particular stage in our lives. This is not about how we think other people should or should not use the current system as it is set up. I'm not privy to the particulars of anyone else's life to make a judgement on how much state aid they need or don't need, should take or not take and I am not attempting to make that judgement.

If I had lots of money, I would look into establishing a private for-profit health insurance company that worked on the principal of equal risk pools. In other words, the higher risk people are spread equally among all the various policies, so that the cost to insure them is not any greater. I would also look at establishing wellness clinics and instruction through the company.

If I had lots of money, I would also look into establishing more private clinics and health services to promote health, early screening of diseases, and such. Right now, I think our YMCA is doing an awesome job at this -- promoting health. In addition to their workout equipment, they offer personal trainers, a diabetes management group, Autism inclusive preschool and are soon opening a family workout room with video games and other fun things. Now that's something proactive!

Since I don't have a lot of money, though, I'll just think those are good ideas.




No comments: